Your Hometown Attorney
For Family Law

What You Should Know About Divorce

When you find yourself facing divorce, you may discover that you have many questions about the process. I am family law attorney Angela Flouras Rieck, and after more than 10 years of advising family law clients, I have answered many questions about every aspect of divorce and family law. Some of the more common questions I have received include the following.

How can I get divorced without giving up more than I have to?

Talk to an attorney. They can take full stock of your situation and help you avoid specific, common mistakes that apply in your case.

How is property divided in a Pennsylvania divorce?

State law separates property during divorce according marital and separate property. The judge may then divide the property in an equitable manner based on the divorce factors that are listed in the Divorce Code. Equitable distribution does not necessarily mean that your assets will be evenly divided.

Will I have to go to court?

I encourage my clients to attempt to negotiate an agreement with their ex-spouse, as it often saves them both time and money. It also tends to protect family relationships for the future, especially when children are involved. You will need to litigate if you are not able to come to an agreement.

Will I have to pay alimony?

Alimony often depends on several factors, including length of the marriage, and is not guaranteed in every divorce. I can review the factors with you to determine whether it may apply in your situation.

Who will get the family house?

The family home is most likely part of the marital property, meaning that the court could award the house multiple ways. One party may want to keep it while the other does not, or both may want it and need to either negotiate an agreement or allow the court to award it. If neither of you want the house, you may agree to sell it.

Do You Still Have Questions?

Please bring any additional questions to The Law Office of Angela Flouras Rieck in Lancaster. To schedule a consultation, you can call 717-985-8938 or contact me by email.